Re: [Vserver] CentOS RPM's

From: Matt Paine <matt_at_mattsoftware.com>
Date: Mon 26 Mar 2007 - 08:38:42 BST

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 01:22 +0200, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> > The problem with the CentOS kernel is that it's really old and it would
> > require major surgery in order to get any sort of recent Linux-VServer
> > version on there. I've been playing with the idea of providing more
> > recent, vanilla kernel RPMs too, but nothing has come out of that yet,
> > mostly because the userspace matches the old kernel. So in order to get a
> > recent kernel working nicely, you'd probably need to update at least udev
> > and mkinitrd.
>
> If you take these from FC6, you need several more just because of the
> dependencies of the FC6-RPMS. But I didn't try it (read: rebuilding them
> and `rpm -i --nodeps` them) since I can't risk it ATM.
>
> Another option/possibility could be to use CentOS-5 with a (very
> probably heavily patched) 2.6.18 kernel which is now in beta since RHEL5
> has been annouced last week or so. So at least the user-space should be
> much more recent.

Thanx for the heads up Bernd. I dind't realise CentOS 5 was so close.
I'm downloading the beta now. I think any efforts to getting
linux-vservers and centos working for me at the moment would be better
off spent on the latest version, as I dont have any current centos
deployments - but looking at setting up at least 3 in the near future.

I'll need to do at least one next week - but I might put centos 4.4 on
it, with a couple of VMWare machines, until I get the linux vm's working
under linux-vserver. I just found out they are looking at 13 April for a
CentOS-5 release - so time permitting I might try to get a kernel for
that. Very exciting (fingers crossed)

Matt.