Re: [Vserver] DNS query-source * inside a vserver

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 15 Mar 2007 - 18:45:38 GMT

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 11:21:51PM +0100, Jean-François Leroux wrote:
> Hi,
> There is something I'm not sure I understand, so maybe you could help
> me figure out. Here it goes: we have a Debian vserver running BIND9
> (recompiled). Everything works fine, except that the line
>
> query-source * ...
>
> breaks bind9 while query-source x.x.x.x works fine.
>
> Well, my understanding of this is that query-source * uses INADDR_ANY,

that would be what one would suspect, yes, but we
_know_ that the bind folks are not very good with
things like common and sense ...

> that would map to the first available ip on an host and does not

no, that would bind to _all_ ips on the host and
the assigned subset (one or more IPs) on the guest
and more important, that probably would work

> inside a vserver.

> Am I wrong ?

maybe bind9 does something creative, use strace to
find out and let us know ...

> Could somebody point me towards the correct explanation (a link
> for example) ?

I would also try to trick bind9, by simply using
query-source 0.0.0.0 (which _is_ INADDR_ANY)