Re: [Vserver] Ethernet interfaces vanished

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 06 Mar 2007 - 14:37:58 GMT

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 07:09:28AM +0100, Cryptronic wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have problems with the "virtual" nics.

I doubt that, as there are no virtual nics in Linux-VServer
(but read on, it might contain some clues :)

> Sometimes a interface in a vserver suddenly vanished and
> ifconfig in the vserver doesn't show anything.

which would suggest that the ip was removed on the host
or one of your guests has too many priviledges (e.g.
network admin caps)

first thing would be to check on the host with:

 ip addr ls

(make yourself comfortable with the output before that
happens, so that you see what actually changed)

> My interface setup contains in interfaces/0/
> bcast
> dev
> ip
> mask
>
> also ip addr list list some of the ip's of the vservers as global and
> global secondary scopes:
> inet xxx/24 brd xxx scope global eth0
> inet xxx/24 brd xxx scope global secondary eth0
> inet xxx/24 brd xxx scope global secondary eth0
> inet xxx/24 brd xxx scope global secondary eth0

here we are approaching the _real_ issue, which is
an unfortunate config ...

> xxx where real ip addresses.
>
> I'm running vserver-utils 212 and the following kernel:
> 2.6.18.5-vs2.1.1.3-amd64-squash-drbd-256ip-ipv6
>
> Maybe this problem is known?

yes, it is, let me explain _what_ happens:

 - you ahve no specific ip assigned to the host on
   that network/interface therefore
 - the first started guest becomes the 'primary'
   address holder on that network/interface
 - you also have 'promote secondaries' disabled
   on this interface (sysctl), so
 - when the one guest using the primary is taken
   down, the Linux kernel will remove all the other
   secondary addresses from the interface, without
   any further notice, which will render your guests
   IP-less until the addresses are re-added ...

solutions:

 a) assign a 'primary' address to the host, so that
    all guests will get secondaries ...

 b) activate 'promote secondaries' like this:
    sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.eth0.promote_secondaries=1

HTC,
Herbert