[Vserver] scheduler: CPU_Scheduler paper vs CONFIG_VSERVER_HARDCPU

From: Alex Shultz <lxshltz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed 28 Feb 2007 - 17:29:49 GMT

Hi list.

I'm a newbie in VServer. And I'm a little bit confused
about 'HARD LIMIT'. How 'hard limit' from
http://linux-vserver.org/CPU_Scheduler and other docs
intersects with CONFIG_VSERVER_HARDCPU kernel option?

Is it the same thing or different?

For example, I'd like to know, how CPU time will be
distributed between two VServers with 3 identical busy
loop's ( while (1) ) tasks:

VServer 1 - one taks is running;
VServer 2 - two taks are running;

I've take a look at the VServer
patch-2.6.18.5-vs2.0.3-rc1.diff, and can't find the
place where a task can be really held on (deactivated)
when CONFIG_VSERVER_HARDCPU=n

So, I guess CPU time distribution will be:

VServer 1 - 33%, VServer 2 - 66%. Am I wrong?

The http://oldwiki.linux-vserver.org/vsched+explained
paper says:

"For simple cases, like evenly distributing cpu time
between vservers, you probably just want to set the
ratio to somewhere between 1/N (where N is the number
of servers) and 1/P (where P is the maximum expected
peak load per CPU), and not bother with hard
scheduling."

So, does it really mean that without
CONFIG_VSERVER_HARDCPU, the cpu time will be "evenly
distributed between __vservers__"? Is it correct?

If a task can be holded without
CONFIG_VSERVER_HARDCPU, please, can you point me to
the kernel source file and line?

Please CC an answer to lxshltz@yahoo.com, I'm not
subscribed to the list yet