Re: [Vserver] raising individual interface devices

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Sat 17 Feb 2007 - 19:02:10 GMT

On Saturday 17 February 2007 11:43, Baltasar Cevc wrote:
> Hi Chuck
>
> Quoting Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net>:
> > is there a way to raise an individual interface device in a vserver
without
> > restarting the entire server?
> >
> > i am installing several vservers that will require various ip addresses
for
> > specific SSL certs added one at a time but should not down the entire
service
> > just to do so.. eg:
> >
> > eg:
> >
> > /etc/vservers/guestname/interfaces/0
> > /etc/vservers/guestname/interfaces/1
> >
> > then i want to add
> >
> > /etc/vservers/guestname/interfaces/2
> >
> > and bring it alive without disturbing 0 or 1 or the operation of any
services
> > under them.
>
> Add the interface configuration, add the IP to the interface on the
> host (ip addr add xxxx dev yyy, as far as and enter the vserver (using
> vserver enter); the newly opened "session" in the context knows the new
> IP, too. So you may restart your Webserver then and use the new IP.

ok so the new session will know the new ip and see it and be able to use it.
great thanks.. i just reload which is a bit faster than restarting apache.
after all vserver mods are completed, then one time over night i will restart
the entire vserver to 'settle' everything in.

only thing i can see is the newly set up ip would not have the 'name' attached
until vserver restart unless ip will take things like dev eth3:tbf2 as a
device name..

thank you!

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book