Re: [Vserver] Couldn't download base-config

From: Emanuele Rocca <ema_at_linux.it>
Date: Mon 05 Feb 2007 - 11:27:16 GMT

Hello Herbert,

* Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>, [2007-02-05 6:11 +0100]:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 12:45:51PM +0100, Emanuele Rocca wrote:
> > You may also want to give a try to /usr/sbin/newvserver, which ease the
> > creation of new Debian based vservers.
>
> how so?

It allows to specify the target distribution (--dist), architecture
(--arch), the list of packages you want to install (INSTALL_PACKAGES)...

I know that you can do the same thing passing the right arguments to
debootstrap, but it's nonetheless handy (IMHO).

> let me explain why I am not happy about newvserver:

> - iif it adds pre/post configuration stuff, that
> should better be added upstream (util-vserver)
> so that other host distros benefit from that too

For instance you can copy pub-keys to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys with
--sshkeys, and you can run a post installation script with
--post-install-script.

These features are probably interesting also for users of other
distributions.

> - having two diverging tools forfor the same purpose
> is not only confusing, but also makes it error
> prone, especially if the debian one uses util-vserver

Why? If util-vserver changes in a way that breaks newvserver, it's up to
the Debian maintainer to fix it. It's his job.

> - debian tends to break things, and then avoid to
> fix up the breakage for a long time (see kernel)

That's a bit unfair. Debian is made by more than 1000 developers, and
god only knows how many source packages are available currently in sid.

Stating that 'Debian tends to break things' because there was a problem
with the kernel (and not in a stable release) is generalizing a bit too
much.

ciao,
    ema