Re: [Vserver] setiathome

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 21 Jan 2007 - 11:22:21 GMT

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 10:33:55PM -0500, Chuck wrote:

> has anyone been successful in running multiple guests each running
> setiathome/boinc? how would something like this affect a system?

depends on the setup ..

> my firt thought is since each guest is isolated that the seti client
> would not sense processor needed by something else and would not give
> up control thereby slowing things down?

again, depends on the setup, for example:

 - disabling the virtual load/cpu stuff will give
   you the overall view, which might work for
   any 'detection' mechanism

 - using the hard cpu idle scheduler with only
   idle time assigned to the guest will basically
   suspend the guest when 'real' work is done

 - lowering the prio_bias for that guest might
   give other guests the necessary priority boost

HTH,