Re: [Vserver] FC5 Linux-Vserver ( gotcha ).

From: <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Tue 09 Jan 2007 - 05:07:15 GMT

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
>> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>>> I found another slight gotcha in the install process.
>>>
>>> I think the following is the fix.
>>>
>>> After:
>>>
>>> A. Installing the vserver utilities system from rpm
>>>

>>> Need to run the command:
>>>
>>> service vprocunhide start
>>
>> And in the future (util-vserver 0.30.213+),
>> service util-vserver start
>
> Daniel is there a discussion for util-vserver going on? IRC or another
> mailing list? The ease of set-up and use of Linux-Vservers is my main
> interest so I would like to follow along and know what is planned and
> happening.

As Herbert said, IRC is always a good place to reach me, and where most of
the discussions happen.

> I think I saw a thread that indicated you were actually or kind-of
> taking on development of util-vserver.

Yeah, I've been doing most of the work recently, with help from Enrico and
Benedikt.

>> would be a good idea. The easier, non-version specific way would be to
>> just reboot again after installing the utils, but that's not at all as
>> pretty.
>
> This idea did cross my mind but since I had just rebooted to get the new
> kernel running it went against the grain for me.

Yeah, that's what I meant by the pretty comment.

> Could the command
>
> yum install util-vserver{,-core,-lib,-sysv,-build}
>
> be run before rebooting the system? Then the new kernel would be
> started along with the rest of the utilities with a single reboot.
>
> Not sure if the util-vserver{,-core,-lib,-sysv,-build} need to have a
> running vserver kernel to do the right stuff.

The only thing I can think of/remember is that you'd have to set the
barrier manually post-reboot with something like setattr --barrier
/vservers /vservers/.pkg. This is what I normally do, since I really hate
rebooting (my systems take way too long to reboot).

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson