Re: [Vserver] setting /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax on the guest

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Tue 02 Jan 2007 - 02:47:35 GMT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 02:05:30PM +0100, william Famy wrote:
>>
>> To begin with Happy new year to every vserver guy.
>
> and a happy new year to you too ...
>
>> I have to extand the shmmax for my guest but I do not manage to do it.
>>
>> cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
>> 134217728
>> I have tried the /etc/vserver/host/rlimits
>> I have tried to add bcapability
>> but I do not manage to go ahead with it.
>>
>> I've run under 2.6.19.1 with the last devel vserver patch under debian
>> etch as host.
>>
>> Could somebody tell me how to modify the guest config to execute "echo
>> 134217728 /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax " for my guest.
>
> as 2.6.19.x incorporates the mainline namespace
> stuff, you have to set those values from one of
> the early guest startup script (e.g. prepre-start)
> while you still have 'enough' capabilities ...

I assume this requires the IPC namespace to be created? That doesn't
happen until the context is created, so none of the scripts would work
for this particular problem. Having a non-executable one that does
something like
VSERVER_EXTRA_CMDS=( $_CHAINECHO /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax 134217728 )
is probably the only way to make it happen (with current tools).

> also using the sysctl interface instead of the
> deprecated procfs one (which might as well be
> hidden away :) is advised ...
>
> maybe special tool support will be added soon,
> so please double check with the tool maintainers

I guess some nicer way to support it would be required, especially as
more of these settings become available.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson
GPG id: 06723412