Re: [Vserver] any kernel gurus know what this is?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 07 Dec 2006 - 18:38:16 GMT

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 08:57:41AM -0500, Chuck wrote:

> ok. i am definitely having problems with this new opteron machine we have...
>
> only thing i can see remotely close to an error or warning msg is this from
> the kernel:
>
> i get this message as early in the boot process as when it decompresses to
> begin boot:
>
> "kernel mapping table up to 100,000,000 at 8000:d800"

that is the 'normal' bootup message you get on the
(VGA) console when the kernel boots and is either
set to quiet boot mode or has some other console
activated ... i.e. that is nothing unusual on x86_64 :)

> this is a linux 2.6.18.3 kernel
>
> 2.6.18-vs2.1.1-gentoo-r1
>
> could this be a disk controller address?
>
> last week the machine died twice both with disk errors, the 2nd time
> it actually scrambled a few sectors in a lvm partition in the website
> vserver. i had to run shred on the partition to fix it.

it seems there were some issues with certain block I/O
and/or filesystems, but they should be fixed in 2.6.18.5
and later

> just this morning, initially i had no warning something was wrong
> until i tried to execute any command and got back 'command not found'.
> turns out the running system could not access the disk array in any
> fashion. a power cycle brought it back to normal and it has been
> running ok for the past few hours.

that looks more like a faulty I/O subsystem ... maybe
a loose cable or interference with the bus subsystem
or just faulty disks ...

> in case it helps
> hardware is
> 2xopteron dual core 265
> tyan 2882D motherboard
> 4gb registered ram
> 2 sata2 drives in raid1 configuration.
>
> could i have a setting wrong in the kernel?

maybe that for the console ...

HTH,