Re: [Vserver] Move vserver to real host

From: Wolfgang Hennerbichler <wogri_at_wogri.com>
Date: Mon 04 Dec 2006 - 20:35:22 GMT

On 04.12.2006, at 19:44, John Alberts wrote:

> I have a guest os running on vserver that is configured and running
> great. I would like to move/copy that guest os to a standalone
> workstation.
>
> I am using Gentoo. It seems that if I make a tarball of the guest and
> then copy it to the workstation, change the profile, emerge the proper
> baselayout, install grub, I would think it should be ok.
>
> What do you guys think? Is this possible?

It definitely is possible.
I just moved a debian-vserver-guest to a xen-guest. A xen-guest is
more or less configured like a real physical machine (except for the
kernel and bootloader).

Under debian I would install grub, and run 'grub-install', configure
a kernel and place that kernel in the grub-config.

What I did, was just to edit /etc/inittab, change it accordingly (I
didn't get a login shell), and that's about it. If you have disabled
your root-password (as I did in my vserver-guests), you would have to
re-enable it. Networking-scripts might need to be adjusted, too (my
xen hosts gets it from kernel level ip autoconfiguration).

> - John

HTH
wogri

--