Re: [Vserver] iproute2 behavior problem

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Sun 03 Dec 2006 - 14:25:13 GMT

On Sun December 3 2006 05:50, Chuck wrote:
> On Sunday 03 December 2006 00:28, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>

> this is during boot when initializing the ethx adapters.

I noticed that myself on a Debian/Etch system - I suppose
any distro that follows their lead (uses the same udevd)
might have the same symptoms;

Look for: /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
which is generated at runtime, during boot,
by /etc/udev/persistent-net-generator.rules

If you do not intend to be changing nic's in the box
in-between boots, then that rule generator only needs
to run once per life-time of the machine - not once
per every boot.

I don't have my hands on your set-up - so I can't say
what/how to make the changes to your configuration files,
but that is the 'slow to initialize' ethernet nics problem
area.

Believe me, you do not want to plug in a usb-nic if you want
a fast boot - it will eventually boot but you could swear
the kernel hung while waiting.

Mike