Re: [Vserver] kernel bug

From: Andreas Baetz <lac01_at_web.de>
Date: Tue 28 Nov 2006 - 06:30:16 GMT

On Sunday 26 November 2006 23:22, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 08:11:39AM +0100, Andreas Baetz wrote:

> > > vs2.0.2.2-rc8 is out ...
> >
> > I tried vs2.0.2.2-rc8 with 2.6.18.3, the vserver starts ok, no
> > errors, but when I stopped it, the whole system freezed.
> > Right after "Deconfiguring network interfaces...done."
>
> hmm, on the guest or host?
> if on the guest, what does the 'Deconfiguring' do?
It's on the guest, a debian installation.

/etc/init.d/networking:
..
        log_action_begin_msg "Deconfiguring network interfaces"
        if ifdown -a --exclude=lo; then
            log_action_end_msg $?
        else
            log_action_end_msg $?
        fi
        ;;
..

In the meantime I found out that some other scripts
are executed after the above, so this should be not the problem.

I noticed something interesting, though:
1) I did put some delays (sleep) into some of the scripts in ../rc0.d to find out which
is the source of the problem, and I think that the bug shows after a certain time
and not after a certain command.

2) I have a vserver (deb3) that doesn't crash the machine when I do "vserver deb3 stop".
The config files on the host for both vservers are identical.

3) Both vservers are running ok, the crash only occurs when trying to stop deb4, i.e. when deb4's rc0.d scripts
are executed via /usr/lib/util-vserver/vserver.stop.

> > Nothing worked besides magic sysreq-boot.
>
> well, that is at least something ...
>
> would have been interesting to get a process dump
> (which should work with SYSRQ-T)
In the meantime I produced some of these crashes, and the kernel always reports
something which has to do with interrupt handling, the reported process was always the one
that was executed in the vserver's rc0.d script, for example "sleep" while testing with the delays
mentioned above.

> > Nothing in the syslog.
> > Didn't try a second time due o lack of time.
>
> okay, maybe you get around, the stack trace of
> all processes would probably tell us more ...
>
> TIA,
> Herbert

Andreas