Re: [Vserver] Some questions about various utilities

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Thu 16 Nov 2006 - 17:56:09 GMT

Jaroslav Tomecek wrote:
> Hi,
> can you answer my questions please?
>
> 1) Why is there the "dummy line" on the bottom of
> '/etc/vservers/<ID>/schedule' file

That should be the priority bias, but due to a bug (IMHO) in vsched, it
doesn't fail if it's not a number and dummy translates to 0. (This is
fixed in trunk by the way, so everyone with dummy on the sixth line will
have to fix it or upgrade to the new configuration format for the
scheduler ;-))

> 2) What does the option '--prio-bias' for 'vsched' command mean?

It's added to all priorities calculated for the guest, so a priority
bias of 5 and a guest process with a priority of 10 would result in a
priority of 15.

> 3) Which option will be used when I put both 'sched_prio' and
> 'sched_hard' into 'flags' file?

Why would you do that? :-) As far as I can tell though, both would be
used, meaning it would adjust the priorities as well as put the context
on hold when it runs out of tokens.

> 4) I found the chcontext utility and the 'vcontext' and 'vattribute'
> utilities. What's the difference? Is there any useful help for vcontext
> and vattribute?

chcontext was the old utility, which with the alpha utils was replaced
by a script that translates the options to the correct
vcontext/vattribute/vuname/etc. calls. vcontext just enters/creates the
context, vattribute sets the [bc]capabilities and flags, while vuname
sets the hostname and similar information.

> vserver 0.30.210
> 2.6.16.11-vs2.1.1-rc18

You might want to consider an upgrade, as we're at 0.30.211 and
2.6.18.2-vs2.1.1 now. ;-)

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson
GPG id: 06723412