RE: [Vserver] Physical to virtual ?

From: ehab heikal <ehab_at_elmotaheda.com>
Date: Sun 05 Nov 2006 - 01:10:49 GMT

There is a page on this in the wiki and on the forums of openvz ( openvz
is similar to vserver and so the same applies but you need to take care
of the differences in commands and data files. )

Basically the procedure is to create a newvserver with the minimum
requirement having the same dstribution and IP as your physical server
then copy the directories preferable with rsync to the vserver make sure
that you do not copy /proc or /dev directories. Then you need to
manually edit a few files and remove a few services.

I tried it and it works well and was easier than I anticipated.