Re: [Vserver] arping inside guest

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Wed 25 Oct 2006 - 17:37:46 BST

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 10:01, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 10:46:06AM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> > i am trying to use the arping utility inside a guest. i have a ccap of
> > raw_icmp already for something else in the guest. i keep getting this
> > error"
> >
> > arping: socket: Operation not permitted
>
> not unexpected, arp is not icmp :)
>
> > i looked through the caps listing but can't find anything obvious that
> > I should use..
>
> you need the 'evil' CAP_NET_RAW (bcaps) for this to
> work, as the arp ping utility generates raw packets
> on a raw socket ...

ok unless i can come up with another method ill have to use this.

> > any suggestions?
> >
> > this is for a nagios monitoring setup where we cannot ping certain ip
> > addresses because of their firewall settings, so i thought we could
> > still monitor those using arping.
>
> makes it insecure, why not use a tcp or udp type
> ping to a known good port?

cant... maybe udp. have to check...these particular ones we have to monitor
ignore ALL icmp and we have to tell if they are up. they run no services as
they are a small office. the only thing we could think of to monitor them is
to use their mac address.. not sure what else is available for nagios for
this.. their routers are not on our networks and i really don't wanna get
involved in snmp.. gets messy...

> best,
> Herbert
>
> > --
> >
> > Chuck

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book