Re: [Vserver] problem with quotas and proc/mounts and just general confusion.

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 18 Oct 2006 - 02:19:48 BST

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 12:30:28PM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> /proc mounts shows this:
>
> [root@cntos64-webmin-tmpl proc]# cat mounts
> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> /dev/root / reiserfs rw 0 0
> none /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
> none /tmp tmpfs rw,nodev 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0

this is how the kernel sees it (i.e. the truth :)

> while my mtab shows this:
> [root@cntos64-webmin-tmpl / ]# cat /etc/mtab
> /dev/hdv1 / reiserfs usrquota,grpquota,attrs,noatime 0 0
> none /proc proc 0 0
> none /tmp tmpfs size=64m,mode=1777 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

this is what userspace tools 'noted' there, you
can change that with any editor quite easily

> guess i just don't understand the inner workings of these things
> enough. how can it show /dev/root when i dont use initrd, dont use
> labels, nothing. my host root is sda3 and each guest root is hdv1

/dev/root is the synonym for the boot time
mount, and it is used like that in a guest too

> unfortunately something is interacting between proc/mounts and mtab
> inside virtualminpro which will not allow quotas to work... yet i can
> assign a user quota at cmdline and it appears to work but then doesn't
> show in virtualmin.
>
> the guy at virtualmin says its because proc/mounts does not agree with
> mtab, but... im so totally confused im about to give up on quotas.

well, nothing simpler than that, just copy the
/proc/mounts to your mtab, I doubt it will help :)

> also on my host i tried setting quotas on / but that doesn't fly
> either.. maybe it cant be done.. when i run the quota daemon it tries
> to enable them and says they work on the guest partitions but it cant
> do / on the host.. i was thinking that guests were mirroring the host
> root configs...

> can someone set me straight on this... i have been going around so
> many times now it has become a mess.
>
> i followed the wiki howto for quotas in gentoo for the host and it
> works on other partitions than /... i also followed the wiki howto for
> using quotas with lvm partitions for the guest.. that appears to work
> at cmdline too..

so what's the problem? you want to use quota on
host root for guests or what?

> why does quotas insist on a partition? maybe i should just divide my
> guests up into a root and /home partition and be done with it. just
> seems like extra work for something that i would think would work no
> matter what. i expected i could assign quotas to any directory or user
> or group to have disk/user/group quotas for that particular directory,
> not a mount point.

it's not quota, it is the quota tools which 'insist'
on having access to the 'root' of your partition

quota (the accounting and the limits) will work quite
fine when you only see a subtree of the partition in
question, but the tools require access to the quota
'root' (and usually the quota files too)

HTH,