Re: [Vserver] Problem starting the mail service (Postfix)

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 11 Oct 2006 - 23:13:41 BST

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 03:07:52PM -0300, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:
> Dear all, I've installed a vserver on my Debian and I've just
> duplicated it to a new vserver (thank you)...Now I have this scenario
> reklative to the mail service:
>
> base host (10.1.1.1): Postfix listen on localhost:25

here 'localhost' should map (via /etc/hosts) to
127.0.0.1

> vserver A (10.1.1.2): Postfix that doesn't start (it can't bind
> localhost:25 because it's already in use)

here 'localhost' should map to 10.1.1.2 (again
via /etc/hosts, for now), so it should not
clash with the host (as the guest is not supposed
to ahve 127.0.0.1 at all)

> vserver B (10.1.1.3): Postfix that doesn't start (it can't bind
> localhost:25 because it's already in use)

same here, but for 10.1.1.3

> I suppose the Postfix's from vservers A and B can't start and bind
> localhost:25 because localhost:25 is used by the Postfix from the base
> host.

yep, that's exactly what happens

> My question is: is there any manner to start the Postfix's from
> vservers A and B to listen on localhost:25 ??? Or do I have to
> set Postfix's from vservers A and B to listen on 10.1.1.2/25 and
> 10.1.1.3/25 ??

as mentioned before, the 'localhost' mapping in
/etc/hosts should handle that, given that the
postfix config uses 'localhost' and not the
hardcoded 127.0.0.1 (which would require some
adjustment then)

nevertheless, as this seems to be the main
issue folks encounter with the network isolation
(and the number of broken and/or proprietary tools
increases) we will address this in the near future
(by adding some kind of user transparent workaround)

HTH,
Herbert