Re: [Vserver] NFS recommendations?

From: Tim Mecking <as.6917.1_at_mecking.net>
Date: Fri 29 Sep 2006 - 13:21:37 BST

Hi Peter,

Peter Sabaini wrote:

> * NFS on hosts: export / mount network drives on hosts, have vservers use them
> * NFS on host and vservers: export on host, mount in vserver
> * NFS between vservers: export / mount in vservers
> * Userspace NFS? I usually use nfs-kernel-server, but maybe for linux-vserver
> the userspace NFS daemon is the more adequate approach?

The kernel-space NFS server isn't available in the vservers for obvious
reasons. So I suggest to use the kernel-space nfs server in the root server.

Mounting directories from the root server into a vserver running on the
same physical machine can be done by using the bind feature. So a
network file system isn't necessary. Just add the following line to
/etc/vservers/<vserver-name>/fstab:

<root servers dir path> <vservers mount point path> none bind,rw 0 0
e.g.
/home /home none bind,rw 0 0

Remote directories are mounted into the each vserver which needs access
using nfs. This is done by adding the following line to
/etc/vservers/<vserver-name>/fstab.remote:

e.g.
192.168.0.1:/home /home nfs defaults,rw 0 0

Ciao
Tim