Re: [Vserver] new vserver network hanging

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 25 Aug 2006 - 16:55:36 BST

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 09:01:19PM -0700, Kathy Kost wrote:

> Well, figures after I make a cry for help, I got it to start behaving.
> AFter probably the 10th reinstall of the guest, I started getting
> suspicious of the name I was using. This may have no bearing on what
> the real problem was but.... I was calling this guest wwwint and I
> already have a guest named www. Two days ago when I started this whole
> thing, I decided to call the new guest www2. Well, the system built it
> okay, but then it confused www with www2. Had all kinds of problems
> with that. I assumed it didn't like a numeric in the name. So decided
> wwwint. This go around, I deleted the guest again, and changed the
> name to intwww. Rebooted the entire machine. Now it's happy. Netstat
> doesn't hang any more and the base-config completed okay. So this is
> making me think that there was some resident confusion with the guest
> names both starting with "www". Seems odd to me, but it sure fixed my
> problem...!

that sounds indeed very weird ... my best guess here would
be that you have some kind of local nameserver, which does
resolve 'some' of your names to something wrong, and choosing
a more unusual one (like intwww) didn't resolve to anything
so all went fine ... maybe check for name resolving of www2,
and wwwint (when you get around)

anyway, names are significant up to 12 chars at least, and
if you do not use aliases even more ...