Re: [Vserver] guest network interface disappears

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Tue 25 Jul 2006 - 16:58:17 BST

On Tue July 25 2006 09:01, Martin Pajak wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl schrieb:
>
> > suspect that one guest gets a 'primary' (i.e. not
> > secondary) ip on the network (check with ip a ls)
>
> I tested this and all guests have only their designated addresses bound,
> so this shouldn't be the cause here. I don't know the
> "primary/secondary propagation", but I guess I don't need it in this
> scenario.

The first address assigned to a nic becomes the primary (only).
Additional addresses become 'secondary'.

With the default set-up, then if you take down the primary,
all addresses go down.

There is a flag in /proc, I forget where, that can be set
to change the above behavior.

With the flag set - then when you take down the (current)
primary address, one of the secondary addresses becomes
primary.

This has been on the mailing list before, should be findable.

Mike