Re: [Vserver] vserver-copy failing

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed 19 Jul 2006 - 22:24:10 BST

Henrik Woffinden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me how to make vserver-copy work?
>
> It looks like it does everything, but the network interface name isn't
> created.
>
> Creating every vserver via build and downloading packages online is not
> an option since they all need to be 100% identical (obviosly apart from
> IP + hostname).
>
> I also need to make maybe 50-75 servers with 16 guests each, so I can't
> have different versions everywhere.

I two am running into the issue of creating a copies of guests. Not
anywhere near your scale but I want it faster than a build each time.

I still haven't sorted out all the processes. Though I looked at
vserver-copy I think I found two different scripts that went about it in
totally different ways.

What I have tried, but had problems with, is to:

* build $FIRSTGUEST and get it all up-to-date and in place.
* build $NEWGUEST one using the skeleton method.
* remove all the files from the /vserver/$NEWGUEST
* copy all the files from $FIRSTGUEST into $NEWGUEST.

Issues I haven't confirmed/resolved are:

* if I need to copy all the files/information from
   /vservers/.pkg/$FIRSTGUEST into /vservers/.pkg/$NEWGUEST. Just an
   issue of getting some time.

* How to create the mark file and hash ( vhasify ) directory.

I believe the skeleton method does the rest of the creation/building
just fine.

What would be really great is a clone method that allowed you to specify
which guest to use as the donor.

HTH ( or at least gets you heading in a good direction ),
Rod