Re: [Vserver] Cannot install yum on vserver guest on FC5

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed 19 Jul 2006 - 00:26:20 BST

Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:

>> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> A well known irritation. I've been looking/checking to see if this
>>> is still true especially with FC5. In the mean time I've hacked the
>>> script and given it my own text and taken the 5 second timeout out.
>>

>> Please let me know what you find out. I'd _love_ to create another
>> case for FC5 without the timeout.
>>

> My investigation showed that FC5 is indeed still affected by this. I
> have attempted to port the yum patch to FC5's version (2.6.1), and the
> result can be found at
> http://daniel.hozac.com/vserver/yum-2.6.1-chroot.patch
> My initial testing says it doesn't break yum, though I have yet to
> verify that it actually solves the problem. The patch requires support
> in util-vserver though, which my util-vserver-*0.30.210-19.fc5 packages
> will include.

Daniel,

Thanks. I've been fighting other battles so haven't had a chance to get
very far into this. I was coming to the same conclusion as I took out
the yum version test and simply used yum.conf instead of yum-hack.conf
and it broke.

This does bring up a possible new issue ( or I've never seen it
discussed before. ) There appears to be a command line length limit when
using vyum. I was building a script that built our stock guests (
verses a copy as I still haven't got that worked out ) and as we added
more packages I just edited the script adding them in forgetting to
test. I moved the script to another system and started getting (v)yum
failures even if I copy and pasted one line at a time.
    Finally got a clue ( from somewhere ) and cut the number of packages
down for each call of vyum and they worked.

The error message has long fallen into the bit bucket but it had to do
with not finding a baseurl for the core repository. I'll try breaking
it again tonight and capture the exact message. With this I noted I now
appear to have to have the guest running to use vyum. This may have
been a fat-figure on my part that got mixed in with the other issues.
Again, I'll do further testing tonight.

Rod