[Vserver] ia32 Vserver guests accessing >4GB of memory on an amd_64 Vserver host?

From: EKC <webmaster_at_generalsynthesis.com>
Date: Tue 18 Jul 2006 - 08:41:29 BST

I have linux-vserver installed on a 2.6.17 debian amd_64 system. I
have used debootstrap to create ia32 vserver guests on the amd_64
host. So far, the ia32 guests seem to run just fine. I understand that
each ia32 vserver cannot access more than 4gb of memory. However, can
multiple ia32 vservers cumulatively use more than 4gb of RAM on a
64-bit system? I don't mind if each vserver is confined to 4gb of
addressable memory. However, I don't want all of the vservers confined
to the same 4gb address space when 16gb of memory is available on the
server.

So, if I install 16gb of memory in a 64-bit vserver host, can several
32-bit vserver guests together use more than 4gb of RAM? Or, do I have
to run 64-bit guests?

Thanks in advance