Re: [Vserver] One more problem: vserver ethernet alias

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu 13 Jul 2006 - 00:53:14 BST

Kathy Kost wrote:
> I posted this before but not sure it actually went to the list, being my
> first post.
>
> I am having troubles with a vserver (named "www") in that when I add a 6th
> IP alias to it, it will not create the interface when the entire system is
> rebooted. And until I remove that 6th definition and reboot again, the
> Apache2 server inside of vserver www will not start up, because the
> network did not initialize correctly. I have not had any troubles with
> adding these definitions until this time.

What do the other 5 look like? Same except for IP?

> If I manually do an ifconfig and add the interface by hand in the root
> server, then restart the www vserver and it's Apache2 server, then it's
> happy. I'm at a loss as to why on reboot, this 6th definition has a
> problem.

Is there anything in the www guest's /var/log/httpd/error ( or access )
log that seems odd.

> I have it defined in /etc/vserver/www/interfaces/6 and have the files dev,
> ip, and name. The IP I'm using is unique and not conflicting with any of
> the other device aliases and the name I'm using for that interface is 8
> characters long (and shorter than some of the other ones).

How about in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts . Is there by any chance a
stray ifcfg-eth? or ifcfg-eth?:? with that IP in it.

> If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Since I'm not up to needing to add multiple IP per guest I'm shooting in
the dark here. Why multiple IPs per Apache guest? One 'webmaster' for
several domains?
    Seems six ( unified ) guests wouldn't use all that much more disk
space nor add much overhead verses one Apache instance running multiple
VirtualHosts.

YMMV

> Thanks again for the help --
>
> Kathy