Re: [Vserver] Cannot install yum on vserver guest on FC5

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue 11 Jul 2006 - 15:48:43 BST

Henrik Woffinden wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm new to Vserver, and I've gone stuck during install of my first guest.
>
> I'm using :
> -------------
> Linux-VServer Test [V0.15] Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H.Poetzl
> chcontext is working.
> chbind is working.
> Linux 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5.vs2.0.2.0.rc24.1smp #1 SMP Sat Jun 24 00:00:11
> EDT 2006 i686
> Ea 0.30.210 273/glibc (DSa) <compat,v11,fscompat,v13,net,oldproc,olduts>
> VCI: 0002:0001 273 03010036 (TbLgnPD)
> ---
> [000]# succeeded.
> [001]# succeeded.
> [011]# succeeded.
> [031]# succeeded.
> [101]# succeeded.
> [102]# succeeded.
> [201]# succeeded.
> [202]# succeeded.
> -------------
>
> Output of uname -a:
> -------------
> Linux hostname.changed.com 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5.vs2.0.2.0.rc24.1smp #1 SMP
> Sat Jun 24 00:00:11 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> -------------
>

> Installation following
> http://linux-vserver.org/VServer+installation+Fedora+Core+5 worked fine
> until section 5.
>
> When I run: vyum <guest name> -- install yum
> Then I get this:
> -------------
> You are using a version of yum which is insecure and broken in chroot
> related operations; either apply the patches shipped in the 'contrib/'
> directory of util-vserver, or ask the author of yum to apply them
> (preferred).
>
> In the meantime, 'vyum' will continue with dirty hacks which might not
> work when the vserver is running and local DOS attacks are possible.
>
> Execution will continue in 5 seconds...

A well known irritation. I've been looking/checking to see if this is
still true especially with FC5. In the mean time I've hacked the script
and given it my own text and taken the 5 second timeout out.

> Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core

I've seen a lot of these the last few days. Started for me Sunday when
I was trying to build some guests on a newly build host. After much
searching through the code I couldn't find the actual cause but suspect
it is a problem with the FC5 repository mirror list ( and possibly some
of the repositories are having issues also). This is not an isolated
case for me. I've had this problem on two different systems, on two
different networks, from two different ISPs, at two different locations
, in two different states. Is that too much? :-)

   Usually after several; up-arrow and enters; it finally works.

Good luck. I won't have a chance to research/debug it again until this
week-end. All my vserver guests at work are built and doing fine.

Rod