[Vserver] RE: [Devel] Container Test Campaign

From: Marc E. Fiuczynski <mef_at_CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Mon 03 Jul 2006 - 19:23:04 BST

Hi Kirill,

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure whether you are referring to Clement's work or our paper. I'll assume you are referring to our paper.

> >From what I see just just after 1 minute check of your results:
>
> DBench:
> - different disk I/O schedulers are compared. This makes
> comparison useless (not virtualization technologies are
> compared itself).

Correct. As you can image, it is not easy to pick benchmarks. The intention was simply to repeat measurements presented by the Xen paper published in 2003 Symposium of Operating Sytems Principles, and show how Vserver compares on those. The point of the paper is to show how "container based virtualization" compares to hypervisor based systems. We do not have the time nor expertise to show this with OpenVZ. It would be great if someon from the openvz community could step in and show how OpenVZ compares to Xen.

> - the fact that there is too much difference between measurements
> (e.g. vserver makes linux faster :lol:)

This is an interesting, odd, and likely laughable result. We just reported what we observed. It is quite possible that we made a mistake somewhere. However, I believe that the problem lies more with the dbench benchmark than with our setup. We did try to eliminate as many variables as possible. Please take a peek on the last page of the paper to see our discussion wrt normalizing the configurations. We are open to further suggestions to eliminate further variables.

> I also noticed that you do the measurements with different HZ settings.
> This influences the results as well...

Of course. My assumption is that it would negatively affect Vserver. Are you suggesting that it can positively affect the benchmark results to run at 1000HZ vs. 100HZ, as the Xen Domains are configured to do?

> BTW, do you plan to do functional testing in addition to performance?

Please clarify what you mean here? From what I gather, the main thing that Vserver lacks is the degree of network virtualization that OpenVZ supports. Is there anything else? From my perspective, the comparison will have to be with Xen/UML rather than, say, a contest between container based systems. I say this because it appears that the majority of the LKML community is believes that container-based systems don't add much above and beyond what Xen/UML/QEMU/VMware already offer today.

Best regards,
Marc