Re: [Vserver] CAPABILITIES as module?

From: Björn Steinbrink <B.Steinbrink_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun 25 Jun 2006 - 09:59:52 BST

On 2006.06.25 10:33:31 +0200, Martin Grunert wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I want to use dazuko on my vserver host, to be able to scan efficient my
> files for viruses.
>
> Therefore the capabilities have to be compiled as module.
>
> Is this possible with the vserver kernel?

Should make no difference if you make sure to load the module early
enough (you probably know when that is better than me). The whole
security concept of Linux-VServer relies on POSIX capability support and
lots of folks had insecure setups, because the debian kernel config
builds that thing as a module and when people based their config on that
one, they didn't know that debian kernels have that module auto-loaded
via some /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ file rather than /etc/modules. So they
actually never had that module loaded. For that reason we decided to
make it mandatory to have capabilties built-in, but there's is no
technical reason for this AFAIK, changing the config manually or patching
the Kconfig file to allow modular builds should be fine, of course only
if you load it ;)

HTH
Björn