[Vserver] Re: Samba in a vserver guest: broadcast problem

From: Nicolas Costes <nicolas.costes_at_iut-laroche.univ-nantes.fr>
Date: Sun 25 Jun 2006 - 09:21:24 BST

Le Samedi 24 Juin 2006 18:44, [eMAXX] sys-admin@emaxx.nl a écrit :

> Whenever I click on "My Network places >> Microsoft Windows-network"
> (swift translation out of Dutch), Windows tells me I have no rights to
> open the Samba host. If I connect to the host directly (eg: \\vs01\foo)
> there is no problem (will need user/pass, but that's ok).

Mmmm, the error message musn't be about rights, but certainly about "host not
found", is it ?

> I discovered Windows is sending broadcast packages[...]

Yes, just a little :D !!!

Many of them, if not all, are related to machine discovery and name
resolution. But you can avoid most of these broadcasts by using a WINS server
(WIndows Name Service). This acts like a kind of DNS, where every machine
(even servers) registers itself upon bootup, and is deleted when going down.
So, the WINS server keeps IP <=> NetBIOS name correspondance records.

I use this at work, and it works with a mix of NT, 2000, Samba, vserver+Samba
clients and servers without any problem. And my vservers have _no_
capabilities !

It is very useful, even if you have two machines : Just setup one as a WINS
server, the other as a client and the NetBIOS resolution problems will go
away (like to wait 14 minutes for machine discovery) !

On the server's smb.conf :
   wins support = yes

On the clients' smb.conf (which can be file or print servers ;-)) :
  wins server = ip.of.wins.server

That's all !

Do it on _every_ clients, even windows ones, if you want to _really_ remove
broadcasts.

--
Si le hasard fait bien les choses, tu n'as pas dû être fait par hasard.