[Vserver] Networking: inside and out

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed 24 May 2006 - 18:10:25 BST

I've ( thanks to everyone ) got a working Linux-Vserver and one guest.

The current issues are I can't get httpd or sshd to start in the guest.

This system is being migrated to L-V so has sshd and apache ( two
VirtualHosts ) running currently.

I have modified sshd_config, httpd.conf, and ssl.conf to listen only on
the IPs and ports the host is using and modified the guest's files to
listen on its IPs and ports.

The guest was build using this variation on the FC5 page.

vserver test build -m yum --context 34 --hostname=test.example.com
--interface test1=eth0:nn.nnn.nnn.34/25 -- -d fc5

Yes it is a half a Class-C network. ( All incriminating values have been
  changed to protect the guilty -- me. )

The error I'm getting is:

Starting httpd: (99)Cannot assign requested address: make_sock: could
not bind to address nn.nnn.nnn.34:80
Unable to open logs

I've fiddled a couple of settings trying to get it to work plus looked
at every page on the web site, wiki, and old message I thought might
help but, no joy.

Most of the networking stuff I've found seems to deal with getting
around limited IPs. This is not my issue. I have an IP for each and
every guest I'll be setting up. FWIW, I have three _very_ old vservers
( circa CTX kernels ) running anywhere from 6 to 10 guests so I'm pretty
sure I just missed something that has changed in the new configuration.

Any pointers?

TIA,
Rod