Re: [Vserver] grsec + vserver : report a little bug to compile debian package

From: Rik Bobbaers <Rik.Bobbaers_at_cc.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue 02 May 2006 - 09:20:52 BST

On Sunday 30 April 2006 12:16, Sébastien CRAMATTE wrote:
> I've tried to compile a debian package with grsec + vserver patch using
> the standard "make-kpkg" method
> I've removed content from "localversion-grsec" file because "-grsec"
> create a conflict with "make-kpkg --append-to-version".
>
> for example if you have :
>
> fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=-intel --revision=1.0 --initrd
> kernel_image
>
> modules are installed in
> "/lib/modules/2.6.16.11-vs2.0.2-rc18-intel-grsec" and debian reference
> these "/lib/modules/2.6.16.11-vs2.0.2-rc18-intel" without "-grsec"
> So package is not installed correctly resulting a Kernel Panic on
> startup. If you put -grsec just after kernel version works fine :)

the grsec people chose to use the localversion way to put the grsec option
behind the kernel instead of patching the makefile (which, in every version
of the kernel has to be corrected). so it's quite normal to do so imho.

so basicly , it's a problem of make-kpkg, which doesnt seem to handle it all
that well...

time to warn debian people about this? or does the community feel that i
should change the patch? (and grsecurity theirs?)

for me, the localversion way to do things is a lot easier and more flexible

just my 2 cents...

--
harry
aka Rik Bobbaers