Re: [Vserver] Timeout and SIGKILL error upon guest stop

From: Corey Wright <undefined_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri 28 Apr 2006 - 04:17:45 BST

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:56:27 +0200
Youri LACAN-BARTLEY <ylacan@teicam.com> wrote:

> /usr/sbin/vserver: line 85: 3776 Killed
> "${NICE_CMD[@]}" ${USE_VNAMESPACE:+$_VNAMESPACE --enter "$S_CONTEXT" -- }
> $_VCONTEXT $SILENT_OPT --migrate --chroot --xid "$S_CONTEXT" --
> "${INITCMD_STOP[@]}"
> A timeout occured while waiting for the vserver to finish and it will
> be killed by sending a SIGKILL signal. The following process list
> might be useful for finding out the reason of this behavior:

i too am running util-vserver 0.30.209 on debian, but with kernel 2.6.12
and vserver 2.0 on amd64.

the only time i've seen that timeout message (or something that looked like
that) was when i had host-specific scripts in rc0.d or rc6.d. once i
removed all scripts from the guest that should only be executed on a host
(or a guest that has more privileges than average) i stopped seeing that
error. some examples are K25hwclock.sh, S30urandom, S31umountnfs.sh, etc.
i'm not sure which script(s) hangs, but none of them are applicable to the
average guest.

all that might not be applicable to your situation, but it applied to mine.

> However, that did not solve my issue. I still get the same timeout error.
> The server in question is running motion to handle 4 IP cameras. Since I
> switched this server to a vserver guest, I just takes ages to start and
> stop. Often hanging on apache2 or exim.

i don't know what's causing apache2 or exim to hang on starting and/or
stopping, as all my guests run exim and 5 or 6 of them run apache2, and
never had any problem except the one detailed already.

corey

--
undefined@pobox.com