Re: [Vserver] vserver features

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 24 Apr 2006 - 15:04:27 BST

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 06:17:22PM +0200, Jonathan Dray wrote:
> I've successfully installed Vserver on a debian etch with a 2.6.15
> patched kernel and started my first guest a few days ago.

> I'm now looking for help/information about two features I acually
> didn't find :
>
> - iptables support in guest environnement. I am forced to use
> the host iptables configuration to grant security which is not
> very handy. It is not possible to give a guest specific security
> management for it's ip address.

networking in Linux-VServer happens on the host to
provide highest possible performance, which atm
means that the iptable entries have to be set on
the host too, this might change in the future, but
usually it doesn't pose any problem ...

> - udev management for devices in guest environnement.

typically you have about 8 devices in your guest,
which are created with the 'build' methods, and you
really don't want more than those inside a guest for
security reasons, so there is really no point in
using devfs or udev ...

> I was searching for documentation / tutorials for the above specific
> topics.
>
> Could you give me a hint ?

hint given ...

> Maybe i missed something ?