Re: [Vserver] how can I remove this in a Vserver : perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")...

From: Tony Lewis <gnutered_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri 21 Apr 2006 - 01:27:09 BST

Youri LACAN-BARTLEY wrote:
> Hi Sébastien,
>
> I encountered that problem many times.
> It should be solved by a little "apt-get install locales"
> Don't forget to add french locales ...
>
> Running base-config after creating a guest from debootstrap often
> helps too.

Doing that for *me* didn't work (though Ubuntu rather than Debian). My
solution is to:
1. apt-get install language-pack-en
2. add the following to /etc/environment:
    LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"
    LANGUAGE="en_AU:en_US:en_GB:en"

To do this in an automated manner, I have the following snippet in my
post-install script:

apt-get install -y --force-yes language-pack-en

# set up environment - this stops the locale errors
cat >> /etc/environment <<EOF_ENV
LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="en_AU:en_US:en_GB:en"
EOF_ENV