Re: [Vserver] HeartBeat + DRDB + Vserver

From: Oliver Heinz <oliver.heinz_at_schunk.net>
Date: Sun 16 Apr 2006 - 15:30:09 BST

Sébastien CRAMATTE schrieb:
> Hello
>
> Efectively, I've found an How to
> http://linux-vserver.org/Vserver+DRBD
>
> But it's incomplete...
>
> Well I think that I'm going to install an active/passive failover
> but how can I manage IPs of each vserver ?
> What happens if a service crash inside a vserver ? How heartbeat
> detect this ?

Hearbeat seems to be a good solution for high availability on a host
basis, so if node-a dies make node-b active. That's at least what we use
it for. For monitoring of services and automated actions based on their
status we use monit (http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/index.php) within
the vserver, but there are several other tools like that around.

If you use vservers and start/stop vservers on the corresponding hosts
once heartbeat detects an outage vserver configuration will take care of
the ip takeover if you use the same configuration on all nodes.
But of course there are a lot more configurations that could be thought
of. you could monitor services on the other node from the root server
and - ind case of outage - bind additional ips to your vservers and
start the corresponding services. Or you can do that from within if you
give your vservers enough privileges to acquire additional ips.

With that and shared storage systems being cheaply available you can do
nice setups. We have a two node ha cluster which has active vservers on
each node, their filesystems are on the shared storage (but theiy don't
share data, so we don't need an cluster fs) and in case of an outage the
other node takes over the other nodes vservers within a couple of
seconds. You need nodes that can handle the complete load on their own,
but it's far more efficient than running the nodes in an true
active-passive failover setup (which is what you'll have with drdb).

Bye,
Oliver