[Vserver] using djbdns (tinydns & dnscache) from within vserver

From: Benedict Verheyen <linux4bene_at_telenet.be>
Date: Wed 12 Apr 2006 - 11:41:14 BST

Hi,

i installed the latest vserver patch on a pristine 2.6.16 kernel on a
Debian Sarge. I made a vm and it all works fine.
Now i have an uml running with tinydns and dnscache in it and i wanted to
move that to vserver.

First problem was that the supervising program wasn't run but i found a
script somewhere to run it from the init procedure instead of from inittab
so now it boots up fine.

Problem is that dns resolving for my clients pc's doesn't work at all.
Even from within the vserver doing for instance a dnsip doesn't work.
>From the moment i stop the vserver and run the uml again, it all works.
The uml was copied to the directory where the vserver resides so the dns
config is the same.

I then started to fiddle with capabilities because i thought this might be
the problem.
Here is what i added to the bcapabilities and ccapabilities file:

bcapabilities
NET_BIND_SERVICE
NET_RAW
NET_ADMIN
NET_BROADCAST
SYS_RESOURCE
SYS_BOOT
SYS_RAWIO

ccapabilities
icmp
ping

What needs to be changed in order to run djbdns?

Thanks,
Benedict