Re: [Vserver] too many open files error

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Thu 06 Apr 2006 - 23:41:19 BST

On Thursday 06 April 2006 01:01 pm, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Thu April 6 2006 11:20, Chuck wrote:

> A single, multi-thread application?

actually 2 applications, the mail server and the list server both of which can
open several hundred threads as needed.

> There is another limit built into the kernel for applications that use
'select'
> to get notifications of connection attempts to file descriptors.
>
> That limit is the hardcoded size of the file descriptor select structure (in
bits).
> Not sure off-hand how big it is, I think either 64 or 128 bits (open
descriptors
> monitored).
>
> You might have to run multiple instances of the e-mail application if this
is the
> cause of the error message.

due to licensing i am not sure it is possible. the license is for single run
use on a single machine.. will have to check if that is even possible with
this...

however, the software vendor feels it is something to do with their
settings/possible code problems.. this is a new binary issued so it is
possible there are probs there. it appears our number of file handles (upward
of 309k is more than sufficient.

# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
309847

# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
19425 0 309847

Thanks for the info on 'select'.. one more thing to research now :)

Chuck

> Mike

> Ch> > Perhaps /proc/sys/fs/file-max ?
> Ch> >
> Ch>
> Ch> maybe max files is not the issue. :
> Ch>
> Ch> # cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> Ch> 309847
> Ch>
> Ch> i would think 309k open files would be sufficient.
> Ch>
> Ch> will see what the mailing list software vendor has to say..
> Ch>
> Ch> > Just modify the value by echoing the new value
> Ch> >
> Ch> > or use sysctl -w fs.file-max= and modify /etc/sysctl.conf
> Ch> >
> Ch> > --
> Ch> > Xavier Montagutelli Tel : +33 (0)5 55 45 77 20
> Ch> > Service Commun Informatique Fax : +33 (0)5 55 45 77 60
> Ch> > Universite de Limoges
> Ch> > 123, avenue Albert Thomas
> Ch> > 87060 Limoges cedex

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book