Re: [Vserver] Create a guest

From: Andreas Baetz <lac01_at_web.de>
Date: Fri 31 Mar 2006 - 07:41:19 BST

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 16:14, Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Maybe very stupid question, but have a server running FC4 with
> vserver-patch kernel.
>
> I want launch two guest with same version of linux but I don't want make a
> big copy. How can I do that ?

I'm using unionfs (http://www.am-utils.org/project-unionfs.html)
to have a vserver running on a union mount.
Basically it works as follows:
I have 3 dirs:
xxx/root (original tree, must not be modified by the vserver)
xxx/vserver/mnt (that's where the vserver runs - it's root dir)
xxx/vserver/changes (thats where the unionfs changes go)

now I do a union-mount to have xxx/root mounted RO on xxx/vserver/mnt, and xxx/vserver/changes mounted RW so the vserver can write to it's /
If the vserver goes berserk and deletes it's files or something, I just unmount the union, delete the changes and start again with a fresh one.

I didn't try this contruct with the host root (/), though, but I think it should work somehow after some modification on the union mount
(remove some init scripts for the vserver that require hardware access etc.)

You have to slightly modify the unionfs sources to work together with the vserver patch.

Andreas