Re: [Vserver] vserver 2.0.2 patch for kernel 2.6.15.6

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 30 Mar 2006 - 01:51:59 BST

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:08:29AM +0200, Gerald Hochegger wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 03:55:10PM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> > > I'm willing to help, but i'm a little anxious with the
> > > stepping forward as my free time is very limited.

> > > I'm using a script to automate this task, so tracking
> > > a stable Ubuntu release and a stable Vserver release
> > > should be quite straightforward.
> > > (script and patches are available at
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VServer)

> > > For Ubuntu the Dapper 2.6.15.6 kernel and 2.0.2 Vserver
> > > patch (slightly modified for dapper) would be a good start.
> >
> > is there any reason for not supporting the devel branch?
> > (not that I have a problem with that, just curious)
> >
> I'll try to build vserver devel kernel packages after Dapper is
> released and the Dapper+1 kernel (2.6.17rc..) appears.
>
> Till summer I don't have the time to track two branches.

i.c. so the 'motto' for ubuntu folks will be:
if you want features, build a vanilla kernel
works for me!

> > > Are the small patches the delta- patches on
> > > http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/ ?
> >
> > yes, those and the ones here:
> > http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Devel
> >
> > > Which delta- patches are combined in the bigger
> > > release and -rc diffs ?
> >
> > usually all those patches in Devel sum up to the
> > finla release, modulo changes regarding kernel
> > versions, but I'm lazy, so it may take some time
> > until the deltas from Experimental make it there
> >
> So vserver-patch 2.0.2-rc13 for 2.6.15.6 is made up of:
> Devel/PAT-2.0.0/ +
> Devel/PAT-2.0.1/ +
> Devel/PAT-2.0.2/ +
> Devel/PAT-2.6.15 +
> some Experimental deltas ?

if you start with devel 1.9.0, probably yes :)

but usually you start with a 'release', e.g.
2.0.1 for example, then only the patches in
2.0.2 and 2.6.15 if you have a kernel that is
2.6.15 or younger ... and 2.6.16 if it is even
younger than that ...

HTH,
Herbert