Re: [Vserver] vlan

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 28 Mar 2006 - 15:35:18 BST

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 09:10 am, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

thank you! i think i can do it now well enough not to blow the entire mess
up :) it's a shame they don't put more devices directly onto the mobo (like
4 or 8 ethernet ports).. we are getting some new 2 and 4 way opteron dual
core servers to replace all our intel ones and these only have 2 - gig
ethernet ports which only leaves one for public ip space so we will be forced
to totally re-engineer this entire network still keeping things in
production. no fun. its not small.

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 08:59:18AM -0500, Chuck wrote:
> > is there any in-depth guide/documentation to fully explain
> > construction of vlans with respect to vservers?
>
> don't know ...
>
> > my boss now wants to change our "unique port" network vlan structure
> > to multiple vlans on a single port.
>
> should be straight forward, i.e. use a vlan
> interface instead of the normal one for the
> guest config (eth0 -> eth0.100) the tools
> will automagically create the interface for
> you (and use vlan tagging for that), if you
> don't want that behaviour (e.g you want to
> setup them yourself), just use the nodev or
> novlandev commands ...
>
> just to summarize:
>
> ip=192.168.0.10 nodev
> ip will be used, nothing will be created
>
> ip=192.168.0.10 dev=eth0
> ip will be assigned to eth0, and used
>
> ip=192.168.0.10 dev=eth0.10 novlandev
> ip will be assigned to eth0.10 (which
> must exist) and will be used
>
> ip=192.168.0.10 dev=eth0.10
> vlan device eth0.10 will be created
> (eth0 must exist) the ip will we assigned
> and used
>
> interfaces and assignments done by the tools
> will be removed on guest shutdown ...
>
> HTH,
> Herbert
>
> > --
> >
> > Chuck

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book