Re: [Vserver] locale and interface binding problem

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 20 Mar 2006 - 16:49:23 GMT

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 02:56:30PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I have two questions:
>
> I keep having those nasty
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> LANGUAGE = "en_DE:en_US:en_GB:en",
> LC_ALL = (unset),
> LANG = "en_US"
> are supported and installed on your system.
>
> messages in a vserver created by
>
> vserver v17 build --force -n v17 --hostname v17.ativel.com --context 17 --interface eth0:192.168.1.17/24 -m debootstrap -- -d sarge -m http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64/
>
> and gone through the usual apt-setup and apt-get update / upgrade
> orgies.
>
> locales is installed, and locales generated. Is this a known
> problem, or something broken in am64-land? I don't recall
> this in vanilla Debian Sarge. Websearches don't show anything
> conclusive.

IIRC, sarge requires some 'config' to be run
to set the locale properly ... maybe some debian
folks can answer that one ...

> Another question relates to greedy services which bind to all
> addresse on the interface.
>
> Is the method suggested by http://lena.franken.de/linux/debian_and_vserver/vserver.html
> Configure your daemons to listen only to the IP-address of the mothersystem
>
> 1. Replace inetd through xinetd with "apt-get install xinetd". Put this line into /etc/xinetd.conf:
> defaults { bind = 10.95.81.15 }
> 2. sshd: in file /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> ListenAddress 10.95.81.15
> 3. sendmail, listen only to external ip-address, look at sendmail.html
> 4. check /etc/resolv.conf for your nameserver
>
> the way to go? Will it reliably prevent e.g. postfix in a guest binding
> to all addresses?

restricting services to certain IPs is only required
for the _host_ as the guests will be automagically
limited to their subset of IP addresses

usually you only want to run sshd and certain monitoring
stuff on the host which can be easily restricted.

HTH,
Herbert