Re: [Vserver] 32 bit debian/sarge on a 64 bit RedHat ES?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 07 Feb 2006 - 14:48:26 GMT

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:22:05PM +0100, Daniel Kraft wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I will get some Dual-Xeon-Servers soon and have to install
> RedHat ES on them.

> I want to install debian/sarge-based linux-vservers on top of
> the RedHat.

> I have the choice between RedHat ES 32 bit and RedHat ES 64 bit.

> The questions are:

> 1. Can I have a 32 bit debian/sarge on a 64 bit RedHat or
> will I have to install a 64 bit debian?

works fine, as long as the 64bit kernel has 32bit
arch support enabled and you are using the right
personalitly for the guest

> 2. Is it possible to patch a RedHat Kernel with linux-vserver?

a lot of things are possible ...

> I don't want to use a patched vanilla kernel on these systems.

why?

> Are there pre-patched RedHat-Kernels?

not that I know of ...

> 3. Should I use RedHat ES 32 bit and just ignore the ~20%
> performance loss for comfortability?

IMHO a 64bit kernel would be the better choice if
you want performance, the 32bit one, if you want
stability ...

> Thanks for any hints!

HTH,
Herbert