Re: [Vserver] vserver on webhoster-server

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat 04 Feb 2006 - 18:02:36 GMT

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:58:49PM +0100, Martin Hauptmann wrote:
> Hi, I have problems configuring internet access for vservers on
> a server provided by my webhoster.

> It is a real server with a not-private IP-Address that is connected
> with the only Network-Card eth0. I can install, start and enter
> vservers but I cannot reach the internet.

as usual, a bit more of information would be of
great help here ... but I'm used to "help! it does
not work! how can I fix it?" mails by now ...

if you assign private addresses to your guests, then
you are probably missing a proper SNAT rule to reach
the outside ...

(e.g. let's assume your guests have 192.168.0.x)

 iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to 1.2.3.4

(where 1.2.3.4 is your one and only public ip)

if you, OTOH, have more than one gateway (i.e. your
guests have public IPs, but are in a different subnet
with their own 'local' gateway), then you want to
look into the following:

 http://archives.linux-vserver.org/200311/0470.html

(from the Documentation section on the wiki)

> All the manuals and howtos I read seem to assume, that there is a
> gateway in the local subnet.

well, if you gateway is in a non local subnet, you
will have some trouble to reach it, so the assumption
is fine, no?

> How can I virtualize that on my hosted server?

what? the local gateway?

HTH,
Herbert