Re: [Vserver] Samba and Vserver Best Practices

From: Matt Nuzum <matt.followers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri 03 Feb 2006 - 18:49:51 GMT

On 2/3/06, Charles Baker <charles.baker@datastream.net> wrote:
> I'm setting up a host server and several vservers that developers in my
> organization will use to test bug fixes of our software. They will
> occasionally need access to certain directories on the vservers to check
> logs, etc.
>
> For convenience sake samba shares to the needed directories would be the
> thing to have. Is the best practice to set up samba on the host server
> and share directories within the /vservers/$SERVERNAME/path/to/log/dir
> or set up samba w/in the vserver itself and share it that way?

I've pondered this question myself and haven't come to a definite
conclusion. I've had some problems with locking, although that was an
older version of Samba and I here the problem I had has been resolved.

No matter what I try, I keep coming back to SSH and tail -f and some
other custom tools I've written.

I've thought about using named pipes that will automatically spit out
log files into multiple places, but I haven't taken the time yet to
persue this.

I envision a daemon process that watches the named pipe and (in my
case) spit out a full log file, like normal, then grab "interesting"
log entries and spit them out as separate files into a share that can
be accessed elsewhere. For me, debugging log files containe snippets
of XML and SQL and it would be nice if those XML snippets are saved
out as *.xml files so that they open in XML spy with just a double
click and the sql is saved as *.sql files.

The only doubt I have about this working is the challenge of keeping
the daemon running. I realize this problem has probably been solved,
but I still wonder how it will work in a named pipe scenario.

Just food for thought and mindless rambling...

--
Matthew Nuzum <matt@followers.net>
www.followers.net - Makers of "Elite Content Management System"