Re: [Vserver] RSS vs. AS, and swap.

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Thu 12 Jan 2006 - 15:42:23 GMT

On Thu January 12 2006 00:57, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 07:05:53AM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:58:43PM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > > I have exactly 1, and will only over have 1, so this simply
> > > doesn't apply. I really *do* want swap-out behaviour.
> >
> > for one guest, why do you care about limiting memory at all?
> >
> > I mean, why not 'just' let it use up what it takes?
>
> Because the app has a habit of slurping so much memory that the host
> system spends all its time swapping, which happens to be even slower
> than usual on this machine. Last time this happened, it took me
> almost 10 minutes just to type the commands to shut down the
> VServer.
>
> What I want is that no matter what the host system has some RAM left
> to perform a shutdown in case the VServer runs away with itself, but
> at the same time I'd like the VServer to be able to use swap if
> reasonable.

Ah,so...
You need a 'host-only reservation' not a 'guest-limit' -

A number or percentage of rss (as?) that can be only allocated by
the host context. No other specific limits on host or guest(s); just
let the memory management deal with the requests.

Not unlike the 'root use only' reservation for filesystem space.

That would not solve the problems with a run-away guest, but at least
you could still control the system from within the host.

I.E: A work-around, not a solution.

I am not familiar with the limiting code, not sure if this is practical.
Perhaps someone that has worked on the limiting code could comment.

Mike