Re: [Vserver] vyum wants to install kernel RPMs on FC4

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 11 Jan 2006 - 22:09:16 GMT

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 02:00:50PM -0800, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having an interesting problem on a up-to-date Fedora Core 4
> system running on a 2.6.12.4-vs2.0 kernel with the util-vserver
> version 0.30.208-0.
> Doing a:
>
> vyum --all -- -y update
>
> Results in vyum installing kernels into my vserver guests.

that's the beauty of really complete dependancies ...

> Installed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
>
> I am using the patched yum, version yum-2.4.1-1.chroot.fc4.
>
> Most of these guests were created with the "stock" FC4 yum, but I
> didn't have this problem. I would like to be able to remove the
> kernels (when I try, dependencies want to remove half the system!),
> and also make sure that yum doesn't try to install them again into my
> guests.

> Any ideas?

I'd look for one of those many 'fake' packages
around, which tell the package system that the
'required' stuff is installed, but do nothing else
or you could investigate how to tell yum to avoid
installing certain packages, even if dependancy
resolution 'requires' them ...

HTH,
Herbert