Re: [Vserver] mountpoint blocked even with all context shutdown

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 09 Jan 2006 - 17:13:08 GMT

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:49:07AM +0100, Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
> Hi Christian,
>
> >you have to start 'thinking' in namespaces and avoid leftovers
> >and unwanted 'copies' or duplicate mounts ...
>
> I do !!
> But as mentioned in my OP
> 1) The mount is done inside the namespace of the guest - it is not
> visible outside in the root and is not copied into later started
> servers. At least I can confirm this with issuing "mount" inside the
> guest (vserver www1 enter and then >mount) inside the namespace
> (vnamespace -e www1 mount)

mount only shows the contents of /etc/mtab (local root)
so it does not give valuable information, check with

 vnamespace --enter <xid> -- cat /proc/mounts

> Neither one shows the mount !
>
> 2) I shutdown ALL virtual servers, so I assume that all namespaces are
> destroyed. At least vserver-stat does not show anything beside the root
> server and "vps ax" does not show any process running with another ID
> than "main"...

doesn't mean that there are 'other' processes which
have a reference to the mount

> So, I see two possible approaches on the probleme:
> 1) drbd keeps its own "mount" table that is not freed correctly

I really doubt that ...

> 2) the kernel blocks mounts from a not longer active namespace

could be, at least for some short interval (e.g. 30s),
but more important, what kernel/patch version do you
use?

> I dont have any idea how to debug, and to make it even harder, the
> problem shows not on all mounts/guest, which are basically configured
> all identical.

> It might be a problem that the mount inside the namespavce is not
> cleanly freed when the startup/shutdown of the guest fails/hangs
> somewhere, but this is only a wild guess :(

well, we could do some bug hunting on the IRC channel
if you find some time ...