Re: [Vserver] Vservers and quotas

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 06 Jan 2006 - 20:19:29 GMT

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 08:22:41PM +0100, Grzegorz Nosek wrote:
> 2006/1/6, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>:
> >
> > well, they are for linux 2.4 and the quota patches, so
> > on linux 2.6 you can use them to turn quota on and off
> > but that's it ...
>
> Oh :( Could you please provide some insight wrt. what will the
> following actions do (I will try them when I have some time but if you
> know the answer offhand, it will be very appreciated, especially in
> the multi-guest scenario - will multiple guests step on each other
> toes somehow?):
>
> 1)
> host# quotacheck -cmu /vservers ; quotaon /vservers
> guest# edquota someuser ; quota someuser

should work fine and apply to the specified uid/gid
in and outside of the guests ...

> 2)
> host# quotacheck -cmu /vservers ; ln /vservers/aquota.user
> /vservers/guest/aquota.user
> guest# quotaon / ; edquota someuser ; quota someuser

very likely to fail, as the device is required for
the quota tools to issue the syscalls, if done with
the cqtools that might even work, but it will not
allow to have more than one such guest which controls
the quotas

> 3)
> guest# quotacheck -cmu / ; quotaon / ; edquota someuser ; quota someuser

the quotacheck might work to some degree (depending
on tools and configuration) and write quota files
inside the guest, which are unlikely to work ...
(without per context quota support, that is)

> > in your case, it just means that you have to set and
> > maitnain the quota on the host, and let the guests
> > suffer from the limitations :)
>
> Well, it means I have to hack my way around this limitation as I need
> to set quotas from within the vserver... I have already made some
> progress but I need to sum up and clarify my findings.
>
> BTW, How will the system react if I change the xid-tagging option from
> UID24/GID24 to internal (I'm using ext3 exclusively)? I mean I can
> chxid the files to proper values after the change but are there any
> unobvious consequences? I think I'll change this setting (or turn off
> tagxid altogether) as repquota -a on the host is mostly unreadable
> right now.

no, the different taggings work equally well, it's
unfortunate that there is no xid aware backup and
restore tool, otherwise the transition could be
seamless ...

> > but let me know if you are interested in per-context
> > quota for 2.6, if there is a certain demand, I will
> > implement it ...
>
> (as usually) count me in :)

okay ... :)