Re: [Vserver] Virtualizing /proc/version

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 04 Jan 2006 - 18:07:59 GMT

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:42:29PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> writes:
>
> >> it would be nice when /proc/version could be virtualized
> >> (e.g. using values from VCMD_set_vhi_name). Currently, it
> >> reveals information about the real host (e.g. real os version,
> >> buildhost/-user).
> >
> > hmm, looking at the code, I see:
> >
> > static int version_read_proc(char *page, char **start, off_t off,
> > int count, int *eof, void *data)
> > const char vx_linux_banner[] =
> > "Linux version %s (" LINUX_COMPILE_BY "@"
> > LINUX_COMPILE_HOST ") (" LINUX_COMPILER ") %s\n";
>
> oops, I did not looked exactly at it and did not noticed that the
> release is already virtualized.
>
> But it would be nice when LINUX_COMPILE_BY/HOST and perhaps the compiler
> and date would be virtualized/anonymized. I see two ways:

well, I did not consider that information critical (mainly
because it just tells you where the kernel was compiled,
who did it and what compiler was used (which usually is
fine and doesn't tell you anything about the host), but
I did spend some thought on how to virtualize that, and
I came to the conclusion that a hack like a) is not really
appropriate, as it does not help, but b) might be an option

> (a) an additional context-flag (e.g. VXF_ANONYMIZE) which sets:
>
> * LINUX_COMPILE_BY "@" LINUX_COMPILE_HOST to 'root@localhost'
> * the LINUX_COMPILER to: "gcc" __GNUC__ "." __GNUC_MINOR__ "." __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__
> * the date should not contain hours/minutes/seconds
>
> (b) allow to configure the three entries above through new fields in
> VCMD_set_vhi_name

so, please let me know if you want to go for b) then we
can arrange something kernel side wise, but will require
a change in the utils too, (to have support for them)

btw, I consider support for the non-legacy networking
interfaces more important atm :)

TIA,
Herbert