Re: [Vserver] k-2.6.15 + vs-2.1.0.1 + util-verser-0.30.209 + hppa + smp BUG()?

From: Joel Soete <soete.joel_at_tiscali.be>
Date: Wed 04 Jan 2006 - 16:51:25 GMT

Hello Herbert,

> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:49:01PM +0100, Joel Soete wrote:
> > Hello Herbert,
> >
> > I install a second vserver on my parisc-linux box and also updated a
> > bit kernel stuff as this new year borns with a new kernel ;-).
> >
> > All seems to works fine with "k-2.6.15 + vs-2.1.0.1 +
> > util-verser-0.30.209" on this system with the up kernel kernel build
> > ;-)
> >
> > Unfortunately the system BUG() with the same kernel src but build for
> > a smp system (as this machine has actualy 2 cpu ;-) ); here is the
> > console message: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!
>
> wow, never heard of a parisc with working SMP

mmm isn't it generic 'soft lockup detection'?
(need to learn more about this?)

[...]
> > which, in short, means that the bug was dtected while do_wait() was
> > calling _read_lock()?
>
> well, if it was a BUG()/BUG_ON() you should have/see
> a file name and line number where it triggered
> (that'd be very helpful to know)

Sure, I will try my best (should be too hard ;-))

> if it was some invalid address or bad pointer, then
> you should have that written too, which also would
> give a lot of helpful information ...
>
> > This crash occures a short time after I boot the system with this
> > kernel and I started manualy my new (vps) guest ;-(
>
> could you try to collect a complete bootup
(that would be easy as I use to use screen, just need some cleanup ;)

> and oops
> log via remote console?

on parisc oops is this cpu registers dump I gave you above (sorry)

> > (oth the knernel k-2.6.15-pa0 alone seems to works fine: I rebuild the
> > kernel from scratch and uptime is now about 6h, though)
> >
> > The VSP kernel config options are:
> > [...]
> > CONFIG_VSERVER=y
> > CONFIG_VSERVER_SECURITY=y
> > CONFIG_VSERVER_LEGACYNET=y
> >
> > #
> > # Linux VServer
> > #
> > CONFIG_VSERVER_LEGACY=y
> > # CONFIG_VSERVER_LEGACY_VERSION is not set
> > CONFIG_VSERVER_DYNAMIC_IDS=y
> > # CONFIG_VSERVER_NGNET is not set
> > CONFIG_VSERVER_COWBL=y
> > CONFIG_VSERVER_PROC_SECURE=y
> > # CONFIG_VSERVER_HARDCPU is not set
> > # CONFIG_INOXID_NONE is not set
> > # CONFIG_INOXID_UID16 is not set
> > # CONFIG_INOXID_GID16 is not set
> > CONFIG_INOXID_UGID24=y
>
> > [...]
> >
> > Oth it's also the first time I tested linux vserver with a smp system, though.
> >
> > Any idea, suggestion?
>
> could you also give the stable branch 2.0.1 a try
> just to see if that one works?

Ok I will do it too ;-)

Thanks a lot,
    Joel --------------------------------------------------------------- A free anti-spam and anti-virus filter on all Scarlet mailboxes More info on http://www.scarlet.be/